Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Drive Through the Desert and a Nonchalant Encouragement from a Mentor

So this past Monday, a buddy of mine named Cody and I, flew out to Las Vegas, NV to pick up a free car! It was a huge blessing and answer to prayer that I got a free car. My youth pastor friend's wife's grandpa died a few weeks ago and he had like 4 cars. His family was going to give it away in Las Vegas, so when Dewbe found out, he called his father-in-law to inform him that I needed a car and would probably want it. So they gave me the go, all I had to do was get to Vegas to pick it up and I could have it.

So I flew with my buddy to Vegas. His sister picked us up at the airport and took us to lunch, and then we went to pick the car up. After picking it up, Cody and I took off on our long adventure. What should have been an 8.5 hour trip turned into a 13.5 hour trip.

Let me explain.

About 30 miles into out trip we stopped for some gas because we had to go through some mountains and we didn't want to get stuck. When we were about to leave, I thought to myself, I'm thirsty, I should get some water while looking at the thermometer in the car reading 111. I then thought to myself, nahhh I'll be fine. I'll just get something on the other side.

Little did I know that 10 miles later my car would overheat.

Cody and I then sat in the sun in the middle of the desert with no water or food for about 3.5 to 4 hours. It was soo hot! SOOO HOTTT! It was a good time that we had though. Suffering together... talking about life. I love Cody. He has been so welcoming to me here in my hometown, after not really knowing me before I came home for my internship.

Finally, his sister brought us some water to put in the coolant system, and we went on our way. 8 hours later or so, at about 5am, we arrived at our destination.

Now, I want to talk about something that happened today. I was riding in the car with Brandon and Dewbe, and Dewbe said something to me that is shaking my view of myself right now. I struggle sometimes with believing lies that I am not fit for youth ministry. Today, Dewbe said something so nonchalantly, but it is shaking that lie and putting it to death.

"You are doing a really good job James."
"A good job at what?"
"At your internship stuff. You know, I was even talking to Mary the other day and I was saying that you are probably better than 90% of the youth ministry guys I know..."
"Thanks Dewbe."

And a minute later the subject changed. I don't remember what to, but the words that Dewbe spoke to me keep ringing in my head. It was really hard for me to believe, but I think he genuinely believed his statement about me.

It was so encouraging and I do not think he realizes how much the such nonchalant little piece of encouragement meant to me. It is so encouraging to me when other people can see me living out the calling that God has placed in my life, when I can't see it or believe it sometimes. It shakes me when people I look up to say simple things like that.

The thing is, I do not know if I can live my calling out to its full potential, until I fully believe in it. Until I see myself as a youth pastor leading kids towards God, I can't do it the way God needs me to or wants me to. I think God is in the process of growing me to be big enough for the dream he has given me.

So that's what has gone on in my life this past week. I love all of you who read blogs.

Dear Lord,
Thank You soo much for speaking me today through someone's nonchalant statement. Thank You for encouraging me on my journey towards my life of service to you. Keep bringing me closer to you. Give me enough faith to get out of the boat. Sanctify me. Call me to you. Wake me up. Shake me. Let me hear your voice. I love You so much.
In the name of Jesus Christ,
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. what an encouragement!! I know how it is to be so encouraged by mentors. God bless them. :) and congrats on your car!!! that's so exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete